WOW! This was the most nervous I (Abby) have ever been to fly an RC. Like not just pounding heart and adrenaline pumping nervous, but legit anxious to fly something of this speed and expense to the point where I was shaking. The E-Flite Viper 70mm EDF Jet is a 6s power beast hitting speeds over 100mph. I just DID NOT want to crash a jet that is so powerful to the point where I had been procrastinating this moment for over a year. That is until Nate came to me and said today’s the day, you aren’t going to crash but if you do, who cares, you need to try.
So I put on my big girl pants, strapped a 6s battery in the jet, and using the NX8 transmitters, I prepared to fly this beast! With a lot of prep coaching in the car ride while on our way to the field, to in the moment coaching, Nate was definitely my backbone this entire flight.
He told me this jet was so powerful, wind didn’t matter with direction for take off (at least the wind we were experiencing during this flight). I gave a bit of elevator input and eased into throttle, and surprisingly the jet took off very easily and quickly, especially compared to my only other EDF jet experience with the E-Flite F15 Falcon.
I about panicked as the EDF started to ascend into the sky, but Nate’s cheering really kept my going. Granted I flew extremely high, but for a first flight, the height was for the best! I didn’t try any “fancy” maneuvers, but I did manage a full throttle pass before I realized that I was going to have to land because EDF flights are usually around 4 minutes before you really start cooking the battery.
With Nate reassuring me the whole way through the landing process, I pulled off the landing of all landings. Like legit, Nate hasn’t had a landing as perfect as what mine was with the Viper. Even our buddy Gary from I Just Got Here YouTube channel said it was the best landing he had ever seen on the Viper 70mm. Quite a compliment. I was so happy after this, and if you know me at all, you will know I wear my emotions on my sleeve…sometimes to a fault! Once the excitement settled down, the tears started coming. Accomplishing something like flying a 6s jet as a female in a male dominated hobby was absolutely exhilarating and I was almost mad at myself for waiting so long to give it a try.
My advice after this flight, don’t let the fear of crashing keep you from enjoying such an amazing hobby. For that matter, don’t let fear keep you from doing anything good in your life. Trust in God. Phillipians 4:6 “Don’t worry about anything, but pray about everything.”
- The best choice for a first EDF jet model because it’s easy to take off, fly and land
- A scale jet model with incredibly smooth sport airplane handling and amazing aerobatic capability
- 12-blade 70mm fan delivers excellent top speed and vertical performance plus turbine-like sound
- Factory-installed high-power 6S compatible brushless motor and 70-amp ESC
- Functional and installed flaps for shorter takeoffs and landings plus improved slow-flight performance
- Fast and precise factory-installed digital, metal-geared servos with ball-link equipped linkages
- Steerable nose wheel and electric retracts with sprung wire struts for operation from a variety of surfaces including grass
- Spektrum™ 6-channel AR631 receiver with industry-leading DSMX® technology (BNF® Basic version only)
- Easy to fly and land with optional-use SAFE® Select flight envelope protection (BNF® Basic version only)
- Unmatched stability and precision of AS3X® technology for smoother flight performance (BNF® Basic version only
- No glue required for assembly and can be ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery
- Large and convenient top hatch with clear canopy, cockpit detail and pilot figure
- Strong and easy to install/remove one-piece composite reinforced wing
- Lightweight yet strong and durable EPO construction
- Unique and highly-visible trim scheme by Aircraft Studio Design
Disclosure: This website has affiliate links, meaning at no charge to you, we will make a small commission from your purchase. If you click this link, you will be redirected to another site for the sale. Prices, terms and conditions may vary and are handled by the site the item is purchased from. We appreciate your support.